Underground Storage Tank Removal & UST Abandonment
Underground storage tank removal is the technical process of excavating tanks from below the ground surface. This task involves precise excavation and environmental compliance. Furthermore, hazardous materials are generated and need to be transported and disposed of. Moreover, soil sampling, back-fill compaction and regulatory oversight are required to achieve closure. Every agency enforces strict standards for UST abandonment projects. A team of specialized contractors, geologists and engineers are required to achieve closure.
Typical Procedure for Underground Storage Tank Removal Projects
The UST abandonment process includes the following procedures:
- An application for Underground Storage Tank Removal including as-built plans and proposed excavation calculations.
- An approved permit by the local regulatory agency.
- Site specific health and safety plan.
- Specialized earthwork construction meeting all OSHA standards.
- Pre-demolition hazardous materials management and spill prevention.
- Proper planning for hazardous waste disposal and EPA Certification.
- Tank-hauling and truck-mounting for licensed transportation.
- Soil sampling.
- Laboratory analysis and environmental assessment report.
- Certified soil back-filling and compaction testing.
- Surface pavement.
Mandatory Environmental Testing
Agencies require soil sample analysis under USTs. Laboratory results are reported to determine the possibility of a leak. Remediation services are offered if contamination is apparent. Furthermore, contaminated soil can be cleaned-up via impact source removal remediation.
Excavation & Earthwork
Specialized excavators are required to remove underground tanks. Additionally, crane operators and certified welders are utilized to safely extract the tanks from the subsurface. Moreover, field personnel have various state and local certifications to complete dig-out projects. All hazardous wastes are transported to appropriate disposal and treatment facilities.
Sources of Information:
Geo Forward, Inc. is the preferred provider of UST abandonment projects in California.
Call (888) 930-6604 and speak with a licensed geologist, engineer or contractor.
Forward-Thinking Geologists, Engineers & Contractors!